|Red vs. Blue: Out of Mind|
|Filmed using|| Halo 2|
Halo: Combat Evolved
|Genre||Comic science fiction|
|Running time||approx. 15 min|
|Created by||Burnie Burns|
|Voices|| Kathleen Zuelch|
|Production company||Rooster Teeth|
|Release(s)|| June 16, 2006 (Marketplace)|
August 1, 2006 (Website)
Window Media Player
|No. of episodes||5|
Red vs. Blue: Out of Mind is a machinima action-based 2006 mini-series produced by Rooster Teeth Productions and was distributed via the Xbox Live Marketplace, the Internet and later on the Season 5 DVD and the Reconstruction DVD. It is the first mini-series of Red vs. Blue.
Spun off from the main Red vs. Blue series, "Out of Mind" picks up in the middle of Season 4, and continues on into the events of Season 5, chronicling the adventures of the character Tex and her pursuit after the bounty hunter Wyoming.
- Wyoming (4 episodes)
- York (3 episodes)
- Delta (3 episodes)
- Omega (voice; 1 episode)
- Zealots (2 episodes)
|#||Episode Title||Running Time||Description|
|1.||Part I||2:41||Tex begins her hunt for Wyoming.|
|2.||Part II||2:20||Tex reminisces her events of her implantation of Omega back at Project Freelancer.|
|3.||Part III||3:21||Tex gets the aid of her old friend, York, and his A.I., Delta, in order to track down Omega.|
|4.||Part IV||2:36||Tex and York locate Omega's base and break in.|
|5.||Part V||3:44||After an intense battle, York gets shot and dies. Tex then corners Wyoming, who tells her about Omega's plans.|
|#||Marketplace release||Website release||Length|
|1||June 16, 2006||August 1, 2006||2' 39"|
|2||August 1, 2006||August 10, 2006||2' 21"|
|3||August 2, 2006||August 15, 2006||3' 18"|
|4||August 22, 2006||August 22, 2006||2' 35"|
|5||October 2 2006||September 2, 2006||3' 44"|
According to series creator Burnie Burns, Microsoft asked Rooster Teeth to create exclusive content for the Xbox Live Marketplace, and they decided to use the opportunity to tell a new storyline tangential to that of the main series. Out of Mind episodes were initially distributed on the Marketplace service, and then on the Rooster Teeth website. Six episodes were planned and slated to be released weekly. However, Part Two of the series was released six weeks after the first. When announcing the simultaneous release of Part One on their website and Part Two on the Marketplace, Burns restated the promise that videos would be released weekly, and noted the miniseries was shortened to five installments. However, Part Three was released the following day on the Marketplace rather than a week as promised, and this remains unexplained by any official sources.
Out of Mind: Part One also marked the first Rooster Teeth video to be filmed, edited and released in 720p high-definition video. Along with this came Red vs. Blue's change into being released in true widescreen\ video (as opposed to the previous pseudo-widescreen format), an idea Burns had earlier stated was impractical, as it would not create smaller video file sizes as some fans believed. The widescreen format remained for season 5.
Many of the events portrayed in Out of Mind are largely inconsistant with those shown in later seasons. Such events include:
- A scene taking place as Tex begins with Project Freelancer was shown of her conversing with a newly recruited Church, wearing regulation Blue armor, before the latter is hurried along by Pvt. Jimmy. Tex's identity as the Beta AI, Church as the Alpha AI, and Pvt. Jimmy as Church's original host body, make this scene impossible.
- All Project Freelancer members, with the exception of Wyoming, are portrayed as wearing standard Black Armor. Future seasons would diversify the armors of the Freelancers with individual colors and armor permutations.
- The proceedure of removing AI from the members of Project Freelancer was shown as a quick in-line process of digitally deleting the AIs, rather than physically removing the implants as shown with Carolina in Season 10. The large amount of Freelancers in line for deletion implies a great deal more Freelancers operating with AIs than the relatively small group depicted in the Project Freelancer saga.
- Tex's escape from Project Freelancer was depicted as a relatively simple event, compared to the massive battle aboard the Mother of Invention crashing onto Sidewinder in Season 10.
Although many of the inconsistancies between earlier and newer seasons of Red vs Blue have been explained in-universe using Church's status as an AI and Project Freeancer going to great lengths to cover it, there is no explaination for Tex's openly incorrect recollections beyond soft retcons in the story.
- ↑ Burnie Burns (June 16, 2006). Out of Sight. Red vs Blue. Retrieved on 2006-06-20.
- ↑ Burnie Burns (August 1, 2006). Out of Mind on RvB. Red Vs Blue. Retrieved on 2006-08-02.
- ↑ Gus Sorola (June 16, 2006). Out of Mind. Red Vs Blue. Retrieved on 2006-08-01.
- ↑ Burns, Rooster Teeth Productions (2005). Audio commentary. In Red vs. Blue: Season Three [DVD]. Buda, Texas: Rooster Teeth Productions.
|Red vs. Blue|
|Season 1 · Season 2 · Season 3 · Season 4 · Out of Mind · Season 5|
|Recovery One · Reconstruction · Relocated · Recreation · Revelation|
|Season 9 · MIA · Where There's a Will, There's a Wall · Season 10|
|Season 11 · Season 12 · Season 13|
|Season 14 · 360|
|PSAs · Special Episodes · Animated|
Team Slipspace: An Epic Grifball Saga